Thursday, February 18, 2016

The DRSS Community Alliance: Spotlight on Diversity, Acceptance, and Education


By: Alex T. Smith
The Dayton Regional STEM School Community Alliance is a school club that meets Fridays from 3:30 - 4:30PM in Mrs. McDaniel’s classroom. The goal of Community Alliance to create a space of acceptance for all students regardless of their culture, gender identity, race, interests, social class, sexual orientation, religion, or personal beliefs.  But at a school as diverse and accepting as ours, is a club like this really necessary?
To find answers to this question, I decided to look into the reasons why Community Alliance was founded in the first place. I met with Maggie Moreda, the co-founder of Community Alliance. Maggie said, “I wanted to create a safe space within our school community where people could come together and learn from and support one another. We all need to feel safe to thrive both socially and academically. Community alliance can be that safe space for students. It brings us together as a high school."
Since the Dayton Regional STEM School already has a large diversity within its student body, the reasons Maggie had for forming this club also made sense. But is a club like this still necessary with the level of acceptance there already is for the diversity in our school?
Maggie agreed that our school is generally more accepting than other public and private schools, however she stated that it in no way makes Community Alliance any less necessary, because there is always room for improvement. Maggie notes that the proof of Community Alliance’s importance stems from the positive changes that members have had. Maggie says that she has seen the students involved in Community Alliance mature and become more accepting since they first joined.
She said, “Students have worked together to create presentations about topics that are important to them. Together we have meaningful discussions where we learn about each other and create a better understanding of the world around us. The real world is full of people with different backgrounds, identities and experiences. I wanted a group that focused on representing that. After all, the real world starts here.”
Community Alliance members posing after a meeting on chronic disabilities.
  
To find out how students involved in Community Alliance feel about this, I interviewed Fatima Boumachad, a member for two school years, to tell me what she thought about her experiences with in the club. Here is what she had to say: “I always look forward to attending this club because I know that every time, there will be an awesome presentation on something new and I get to become a part of a group discussion or activity that not only helps us learn more, but also lets us be ourselves without worrying about other people’s opinions.”
Just like Maggie, Fatima also notes that she and the other members have been positively impacted by what they have learned from group presentations.
Fatima said, “I have learned about various beliefs, cultures, illnesses, and other aspects that define each person as an individual. I also got the opportunity to learn about peoples' life stories. I listened to people talk about the steps that they have taken in life to reach the point that they are now.”
I followed up by asking her what she would miss most about Community Alliance if it no longer was continued. She said, “Being a part of this club, I get the opportunity to learn about so many different things that I would never have known about otherwise. I feel that this is important because it offers me a chance to learn more about others and I get to teach others about myself. Community Alliance is one of my favorite clubs because of its welcoming environment and amazing lessons. I’m so glad that I am a part of this club and look forward to any future meetings.”
At the end of the interview I asked Fatima what her favorite part of Community Alliance was. She said, “Community Alliance encourages people to welcome everyone regardless of their differences, and I feel that if everyone learns this aspect, the world would be a much better place.”
To the relief of members, Community Alliance has gotten off to a great start over the last year, and with 15-20 regular attendees, it seems that the club itself has no intention of going away anytime soon. To answer the question of if Community Alliance is really necessary, at least to its members the answer is a resounding yes.

Full disclosure: Alex T. Smith is the co-president of the DRSS Community Alliance.