Thursday, May 19, 2016

We Have Chemistry: Mrs. Kancler & DRSS Students


By Hiba Ahmad

Mrs. Kancler has been a teacher for the past seven years, and has been working here at STEM as a chemistry teacher for the past two years. She first decided to join this school because she “…like(d) the atmosphere. I was looking for a place where I could use different teaching strategies, and this seemed to be a good fit.” At the Dayton Regional STEM School, teachers have a lot of flexibility with how they teach. Every teacher seems to have a different approach to the same lesson, and it works for students. It’s nice to be able to experience different kinds of teaching, and it adds something interesting to every class. 


As a student in Mrs. Kancler’s class, I can vouch for her teaching style. Whenever we begin a new unit, she has a PowerPoint ready for us to take notes on, and several practice problems. While this may seem boring, she makes it interesting by cracking a joke every now and then, and conversing normally with students. Mrs. Kancler also makes sure that everyone understands what we are learning before we move on, walking around the classroom and answering all questions to the best of her ability. A student in her class explains that, “I really like her. I think that she takes time to make sure that everyone understands the concepts, and that’s helpful from a teacher.”
About the school, Mrs. Kancler had only positive things to offer. “I like the fact that the teachers have more freedom in how they present material - it’s not as structured. I like the open atmosphere between students, and I think it’s a very accepting culture, which is what I prefer. And I really like the PBL (Project Based Learning) style of learning.”