Thursday, April 20, 2017

A DRSS Student Reflects on the Value of Internship Opportunities

DRSS Junior, Rachael Stowe, completed her internship experience in Cincinnati at multiple hospitals
By Rachael Stowe


This past week I completed my internship at multiple hospitals and medical practices in Cincinnati. As many people know, STEM’s internship requirement differentiates it from many other schools and their graduation requirements. The internship program at STEM is known for providing students with real experience in their field of choice before they graduate. Opportunities like this may even help some students decide what they want to pursue in college, which can be valuable information to have going into senior year.
Three of the five days I spent at my internship were "OR" days, or days where I arrived and got the chance to watch surgeries from inside the OR. Two of the days were OB/GYN surgeries and the third day was general surgery. 
What amazed me most was how every single person in the OR plays a very specific and very crucial role in the surgery. Even though not everyone touches the patient, they are just as important. 
The other thing that amazed me about surgery was the robotic surgeries I got to see on one of my OR days. These surgeries were interesting because they were done completely robotically. The robot arms are connected to the patient through ports in the stomach and then certain instruments are attached to allow the surgeon to cut and repair tissue. 
The surgeon never touches the robotic arms, instead they sit at large stations across the room and use finger holds with sensors to guide the robot on where to go. I learned that this approach can be better than laparoscopic surgery because laparoscopic cameras can only give a 2D image of the patient which can make it difficult to maneuver. The robot’s camera actually creates a 3D for the surgeon to look at which helps with perspective in the operating field.
The other two days of my internship, I interned at an OB/GYN practice. While I loved surgery, these days were my favorite because they allowed me to interact more with the patients and learn about a wide variety of conditions. This experience also gave me the chance to learn under a NP (Nurse Practitioner) which is one of the career fields I am extremely interested in. After this experience, I know that I would like to have a job where patient care is readily involved, as this was the most engaging part of the experience for me.
I was incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to intern at the locations I did because of the many restrictions that can be placed on medical internships due to patient privacy rights. Connections I had to individuals who worked at these locations allowed me to have the full enriching experience I had.