Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Alumna Profile - Bethany Wilson

By DRSS Newsroom Journalist Bri Perkins 

Bethany Wilson graduated from the Dayton Regional STEM School last year. She started DRSS in the year of 2012 as a freshman. She is currently enrolled in Sinclair Community College taking courses such as mathematics, metrology, precision machining, and principles of manufacturing. 
Bethany Wilson, DRSS Class of 2015, pictured here during her NASA internship.
When asked why she enrolled in Sinclair, she responded with, “Because of what I learned taking economics with Mr. Grieve. I want to graduate from college debt free.” She hopes to become a welding engineer.

When asked how Sinclair is going so far, she responded with, “My experience at Sinclair has been amazing. I can tell that the courses I took at DRSS, and the expectations teachers had for me have made a different in how my first few weeks are going.” 

Bethany didn’t always know she wanted to become a welding engineer. During her freshman year at DRSS, she admits to wanting to become a rescue swimmer for the United States Coast Guard. However, all that changed when she took Ms. Whitt’s class for biology. After taking her class, Bethany then wanted to become a Bio-Medical engineer. Yet, after interning at N.A.S.A. she changed her mind. Now, she is focused on becoming a welding engineer, but she says if that doesn’t work out, she would most likely become a high school teacher in either history or government.

Looking back on her years at DRSS, Bethany noticed some things. “I was someone who really didn't like doing digital portfolios. However, I plan on keeping mine updated with projects I’m doing now; that will be impressive to future employers. Using proper email etiquette and actually talking to your professors, and emailing them is something that STEM prepared me for and I didn’t even realize it when I was there.” 

Bethany also went on to say how DRSS prepared her for entering a mostly male-dominant field, saying how she is one of the only girls in some of her classes.  “I do miss STEM a lot. I miss a lot of specific teachers. Usually the ones where I struggled with their course and had to spend extra time with them. Not having familiar faces at every turn isn’t something I’ve had to deal with for the last four years because of the family that is STEM. Not having staff members that know you by name, and care for you on a personal level is probably the hardest part of leaving.” 

Although she misses DRSS, she is happy to finally be in the real world and have choice over what she studies. Yet, she also goes on to say, “I’m not too fond of having to start paying taxes or having to find a spot in the parking garage before my 8 am classes.”

Bethany was a familiar face for both classmates and staff members for her four years at DRSS. We miss her greatly and hope she is successful in whatever she chooses to be!